Local chef, Laura Scott serves up the perfect spiced recipe for autumn…
Pumpkin Pear and Ginger Soup
Prep Time 20 minutes / Cook Time 30 minutes / Total Time 50 minutes
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 1 onion roughly chopped
• 1 leek roughly chopped
• 2 inches of ginger peeled and finely chopped
• 1 tsp rosemary chopped
• 1 small pumpkin peeled, de-seeded and cut into cubes
• 2 pears peeled, de-seeded and cut into chunks
• 1 tsp turmeric
• A pinch of dried chilli flakes
• 600 ml vegetable stock
• Rosemary chopped, for garnish
- Fry the onion and leek in the olive oil in a large saucepan for 5 minutes over a medium heat
- Add in the prepared pumpkin, pear, turmeric, chili, rosemary and ginger and fry for a couple more minutes.
- Pour in the prepared vegetable stock (cubes or powder are fine).
- Bring to the boil then simmer for 20 -30minutes.
- Remove from the heat and blend the soup into a smooth purée.
- Return to the heat to warm through before serving.
- Garnish with a little more freshly chopped rosemary and some croutons.
If you can’t find a fresh pumpkin then you could substitute with butternut squash. The soup keeps well in the fridge for up to 5 days. Alternatively,
you could freeze some for a later date.
About Laura Scott
Laura Scott is a chef and supper club host, who during lockdown found herself switching her chef skills to running a micro-bakery from her home in Epsom which became an instant hit with locals; her hot cross buns sold out within a day and her sourdough and focaccia loaves had a two-week waiting list due to their popularity. Laura is now concentrating on her ‘At Home Dining’ service. Within a five-mile radius, you can experience a bespoke three-course meal delivered to your home for any occasion.
Laura also offers discounts to NHS staff.
For more info visit howtocookgoodfood.co.uk